'...Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...'

Monday 11 July 2011

Rome

Rome was my favourite!! It was amazing. One complaint though - too many tourists. I know that's a bit of a contradiction but it was full of them! Spanish steps were packed! The amount of people trying to sell roses to you 'beautiful women' is very scary and intimidating. However at the bottom of the Spanish Steps is the designer stores. Very exciting. We went into the Luis Vuitton shop. It was quite small and pretty busy. I loved looking at the bags. I have wanted one for yeeaars! Haven't quite got the courage to part with that much money, especially on a bag, but they really are beautiful. The displays in the windows were too crazy or anything, just quite simple. Just round the corner there were men selling knock off designer bags, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and others, although I'm pretty sure some of them were genuine. Annnyyyway, Rome was odd because all the major points were just in the street, as if it were a normal building. The Colosseum was just beside a main road and a train station. Just like it was no big deal. The Colosseum was amazing. I just kept imagining great gladiator fights, as soon as we got home we watched Gladiator! (Such a good movie) There was so much history there, 'the Great Roman Empire' It was very cool. We also visited the Vatican which was beautiful. The Sistine Chapel wasn't as impressive as I thought it was going to be. We walked around a huge museum with about a million paintings, all impressive just pretty much the same, then we got to the Sistine Chapel, I grew up as a Catholic so I have a rough idea of what a Chapel should be like, but this wasn't it. I was a big room, with paintings all over, and a huge herd of tourists. The paintings of course, amazing however it was ruined with the amount of people. There was no altar no decorative jewels etc. Just a room. Ruined the ambiance and I felt I couldn't appreciate it properly. St Peter's square was beautiful, there was a big poster with the late Blessed Pope John Paul II. It was really beautiful and peaceful.
Here are some photos! Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment